Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon


my rating: 2.5 out of 5
Right now, as I type this, my head is pounding and my ears are ringing. I just got assaulted by the new epic blockbuster Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon.

Michael Bay is known for over-the-top, in-your-face movies that are way bigger than life. Out of all his movies, Dark of the Moon is the biggest, loudest, longest, most obnoxious 2.5 hours of movie sensory blitz he's ever done. This is the bad news and the good news, rolled into one.

On one hand, the good news is this movie has the best special effects of any movie ever made. The bar of special effects for Hollywood movies is so high these days that the effects are absolutely mind-blowing. Seeing this movie in 3D made me feel like I was hurtling through outer space in some scenes. The human characters looked great in super detailed 3D splendor, as well. The action scenes are more coherent than past Transformers flicks, too. You can actually kind of follow what's happening visually.

The down side is, the nearly 3 hours of sitting in the theater with 3D glasses on has left me with a splitting headache. And, the sound was blasting, so my ears physically hurt, as well. I can safely say that this is the first movie I've ever seen that physically hurt my body. That's just how "full throttle" everything in this movie is. Sure, it's a fairly enjoyable ride, but it's all just a little too much. The screen was so big, it took up my entire field of vision. It's pointless to talk about plot, because this movie has a formulaic story. The real news is in the visuals, and the 3D experience.

If you want to watch Transformers: Dark of the Moon, I recommend seeing it on the big screen in 3D. Otherwise, don't bother. It would be a waste of time to watch this schlock in my living room on a "mere mortal" television. It is designed to be experienced on the big screen, in 3D, assaulting your senses. Watching this at home would be like watching a roller coaster on your television. No. You have to go to the park and ride the coaster in person. If you're not interested in a 2.5 hour full adrenaline, headache-inducing, onslaught of over-the-top absurdity, then Transformers 3 is not for you.











Comments

  1. I didn't have high hopes for this one. The first was okay in my opinion, and the second, while not as bad as the critics said, was nowhere near as good as fans said. I was never in to Transformers as a kid (I was more of a Ninja Turtles guy myself), so maybe that's why I don't really care about the films. I might check it out in theaters, though, just to check out the visuals on a big screen as you've recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! My 12th birthday party was pizza and the opening of the new TMNT movie! That first mutant ninja turtles movie was awesome. Transformers 3 is worth watching for the effects. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked t any way

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thought that the effects were fantastic. Although simple, I did like the plot. I thought that they did a nice job of resolving the series, unlike a lot of other trilogies/series. I also had a headache at the start of the movie. I think that I was sitting too close to the screen though. I would recommend sitting closer to the back. I would give the movie 3 stars, instead of 2.5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This movie rocked, better than the other 2. granted that there were a few scenes he took from "The Island" in the highway chase but still this movie was fantastic in all ways! Comedy, action, very little romance but it was more personal....I think 4 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, 4 out of 5. that's very enthusiasitc. I never noticed the scenes taken from "the island". I really liked that movie, and I thought it was interesting. I agree with you, T3 is more introspective than the first two. Very intense.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment