Super 8 is Super Awesome

I saw Super 8 last night, and it is incredible. I didn't originally plan to see it on the big screen. However, after a couple of intriguing trailers, and a swarm of positive buzz, I decided to see it. My co-blogger, Bumblebee, and I went last night. She liked it, too.

JJ Abrams has done a wonderful job with the most recent Star Trek, Mission Impossible 3, and other various tv shows and movie involvement. (He was a producer of the movie Morning Glory with Harrison Ford, that I loved!) My only apprehension about Super 8 was that it seemed reminiscent of Cloverfield, which JJ Abrams had involvement with. I didn't like it.

With Super 8, however, it is incredible. With Steven Speilberg producing and JJ Abrams directing, it has all the charm, energy, and sincerity of Goonies and the action of a modern summer blockbuster. It feels familiar, yet it is all brand new. It's definitely a surprise winner. With such other ginormous 2011 summer releases like Harry Potter, Green Lantern, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers 3, X-Men, Captain America....sheesh! That's all IN ONE SUMMER! How does a movie like Super 8 avoid getting lost in the pile? Well, it's really, really good. That's how.

This seems to be the type of movie Steven Speilberg used to make. A group of kids, in 1979, is making a "super 8" zombie film to enter into a film festival. I won't reveal too much, but they stumble upon a situation that they shouldn't be involved with. Their group dynamic changes when the girl gets involved, of course. And, throw in some protective parents, and you've got a classic. Speilberg and Abrams seem to bring complimenting sensibilities. Great casting, a knack for action, and good special effects.

I know it's tough to make it out to the movies every single weekend this summer. There's a lot to choose from, and more on the way. But, if you like Steven Speilberg, see Super 8.

my rating: 3.5 out of 5


















Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this movie. It was the classic Spielberg flick that everyone has been craving. I thought that the kids were fantastic. The adventure was fantastic. So many things were fantastic.

    *Spoiler Alert*:
    I only wish that this movie hadn't been about aliens. I would have liked to have seen something a little more original.

    Overall, I really enjoyed the film and would recommend it to almost anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this movie! From the jaw-dropping train wreck scene to the end of the film I was mesmerized. It felt like a JJ Abrams tribute to all things classic Spielberg. It had elements of E.T., Goonies, Close Encounters, and Jaws. Well worth the price of admission!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment