Favorite Summer Flicks

June 21 is the first "official" day of summer. There are certain movies that just scream "summer." Cookouts basking in the hot summer sun, lounging by the pool, family togetherness, being out of school, and late sunsets in the rolling hills of East Tennessee. Ahhhh, summer.


Some of these "summer movies" don't actually having anything to do with summer. They're just the movies I love watching most in summer. Something about the themes of them, or the vibe, or the times when I first saw them, makes them perfect summer flicks.

Now, in no particular order, my top 7:

1. Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
Watching Luke Skywalker embark on a space mission to save the galaxy alongside Han Solo and Obi-Wan just reminds me of summer. Something about laying under a deep summer sky of stars makes me dream of 70's space adventures. Droids, aliens, and childhood heroes just bring out all the best of summer movie watching. I watched this movie with my family as a kid. It makes me think of those childhood summer nights when my friends and I would come inside, tired from playing, and watch Star Wars on VHS with my fam. Good times.









2. The Great Outdoors (1988)
I have watched this movie with my parents for years. It only seems right to watch it in the summer. It is still hilarious to this day, and my wife and I still watch it. It's lighthearted, and carries along a glaze of wonderful late 80's cheese. Being from the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains national park, I can relate to the plight of vacationing a little too close to the great outdoors. Dan Aykroyd and John Candy are absolutely epic in this movie. Two families, taking a summer vacation in a grand log cabin, of course hilarity ensues. Right, guys?










3. The Burbs (1989) The Burbs only feels right in the summer. This movie is like a favorite pair of swimming trunks to me. When I break 'em out, it must be hot outside. Maybe it's because the majority of the movie takes place outside, on summer evenings, in a suburban neighborhood. Or because it's loosely about a guy taking a staycation in the summer. It's like one of those great, late-night comedies on a Friday summer night, when you don't have to be up early the next morning. It's also a distinct and funky blend of comedy, and comedy-suspense from Tom Hanks and Carrie Fisher (in her second "Buzz" summer movie!) I know this movie gets a bad rep for being horrible. But, I have a soft spot in my heart for cheesy horror movies. And, the Burbs is kind of a lighthearted (not scary) homage to them. Mixed with family comedy. It ain't perfect, but it's summer. And it's got Corey Feldman in it.











4. The Empire Strikes Back (1981)
All the reasons for Star Wars: A New Hope. Plus, those magical scenes with Yoda. The Empire Strikes Back is one of my favorite all-time movies. But, it's particularly apt for summer. As the continuing story of the Star Wars saga, Empire is a story of further discovery, deeper fantasy, and more involvement with these characters we've grown up with. Carrie Fisher makes her third appearance!









5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) The list feels incomplete without atleast one Harry Potter movie. Prisoner of Azkaban was the summer blockbuster that made me fall in love with this series. I saw it in summer '04 in IMAX. It was the first Harry Potter movie I had seen, and it blew me away. Most of the Harry Potter flicks will make my "favorite of fall" list. But, this one has a place of honor on my summer list. It feels more like a summer movie than some of the other ones. But, it still retains the magic and adventure of a kids' movie, while delving into the fun of summer blockbuster territory.






6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
When you've been at the beach all day, and you're tired and sunburned, nothing is better than relaxing in your hotel room at night and watching Pirates. It's a fun Disney fantasy on the high seas, full of mindless special effects, convoluted story, and Johnny Depp awesomeness. It just epitomizes summer blockbuster. I picked Dead Man's Chest over the other Pirates flicks because it is, narrowly, my favorite summer Pirates. Although, it is nearly interchangeable with Curse of the Black Pearl and On Stranger Tides.







7. The Incredibles (2004) Rounding out this list of my summer favorites is the Disney / Pixar classic The Incredibles. I must admit, like some other movies on this list, The Incredibles is not just a summer favorite. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is a wonderfully creative, adventurous, funny, exciting, and family-friendly summer movie that has all the right stuff. Charm, fantasy, depth, and lovable characters. The writing particularly sparkles, and the animation makes you feel like you're in the middle of the action. This is one of my favorite movies to watch in the summer. I love comic book movies, and superhero stuff. The Incredibles puts a creative twist on superhero lore and creates its own comic book world. Very fun.








summer-worthy Honorable mentions:
E.T., Batman Forever, Independence Day, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future

But, enough about me. Leave comments about your own list of summer favs! You do not have to have an account to leave a comment. And, don't forget to read my review of The Adjustment Bureau, which comes out on DVD today.

Comments

  1. I don't have much of a list here. Maybe Jaws because I've heard it kicked off the summer movie blockbuster craze (and it reminds me of summer since that's when it's set). I do agree about your honorable mention of Jurassic Park - that's maybe the earliest movie I remember seeing in the theater with my family. And I read something recently - I think it was on JoBlo.com - that Jurassic Park was the last great summer blockbuster - and I think I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Incredibles and any of the Pirates movies (although you know I prefer Curse of the Black Pearl) are great summer flicks! I agree with Robert about Jaws and I also think Jurassic Park is appropriate. For me, I guess there are two ways of thinking about a list of summer favorites - movies that were released during the summer and movies that just have a great summer feel. I love A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, and I know they were released during the summer, but for some reason, they don't feel like summer movies to me. Same goes for HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban and E.T. They're favorites for sure, but I can't help thinking of them as fall or Halloween movies. Dark Knight is another awesome summer release that I prefer to watch at other times during the year.

    Indiana Jones, on the other hand, would definitely make my summer list (Raiders of the Lost Ark in particular). Adventureland is a new summer favorite of mine, and I'd probably list the Sandlot as well. I also tend to get a hankering for Disney and Pixar movies in the summer. Titles like Wall-E, any of the Toy Story movies, Meet the Robinsons, Up, Robin Hood, Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, and the Sword in the Stone seem to strike my fancy during the summer. Some others include the X-men movies, Super 8, The Incredible Hulk, and Bottle Rocket. This is a great topic. I could go on all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm really behind on reading your blog. I was catching up and saw this post and had to comment. Just about anything classic Spielberg makes my list (Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jaws, Goonies, E.T...). Also, I love National Lampoon's Vacation in the summer time. Must be because growing up I made so many summer road trips with my family in a station wagon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment