Michael Jackson's This Is It

my rating: 4 out of 5
My relationship to Michael Jackson and his art is very similar to most of the general public. When I was a kid, I remember watching the classic videos on tv. We all know what they are: "Beat It", "Billie Jean", "Thriller", "Bad", and "The Way You Make Me Feel." Going into the 90's, as an elementary and then middle schooler, it was no longer "cool" to admit being a fan. Michael's public persona grew more questionable, and the first accusation against him in the early 90's was a damning judgement against his personal character. The accusation seemed to verify what many mainstream fans instinctively suspected: this weirdo guy with the plastic surgery who owns the zoo/ranch is into kids too much. Even though they settled out of court, it was a destructive turn of events to Michael Jackson's reputation.

There was always an inner conflict with me. I laughed along with any Michael Jackson joke I heard, yet part of me still respected and loved his skill, talent, and music. As the years progressed, it seemed that his grip on pop culture faded until he no longer had relevance. I loved all his music, even the obscure stuff. Yet, I never could decide if I thought he was guilty or not.

I was disappointed, along with millions of others, with the lackluster 2001 "Invincible" album. Michael was having disputes with his record label, and he didn't even tour for the album. Then, he stopped. No more albums. No more tours. I was dismayed and disgusted (yet magnetically drawn to) the 2005 trial. Michael's freaky public persona had, at long last, eclipsed his overwhelming blockbuster talent for music and entertainment. He had become a circus sideshow act, full of sad and seemingly self-destructive patterns. Everything from the documentary "Life with Michael", to his controversial dangling of his baby over a balcony, and to the frail physical condition he was in, Michael seemed to have lost his grip entirely.

Then, tragically, we lost him in 2009. Now, I know this is not a music review blog, but we all grew up with Michael. He performed, entertained, and entranced audiences for over four decades. He was super famous, and super talented. Forget James Brown, Michael was the hardest working man in showbiz.

The fact that the last decade left us with little or no new Michael entertainment, it is only fitting that he died producing an epic new show. When I saw This Is It on the big screen, I was very pleasantly surprised to find a fiery, intense, very determined Michael Jackson putting together the stage show of a lifetime. Many people cited his near-bankrupt status as a motivating factor for him to create the This Is It show to begin with. But, I'm not that cynical about it. One undeniable thing about Michael Jackson was that he had a flare for creating things that excited and inspired him. He never did anything half way. I'm sure the people that put out This Is It in movie form were attempting to gain back some of the massive amount of money spent to create this elaborate show. When you watch it, you will be shocked at the work ethic. If you are like me, you will be pleasantly surprised to see a vintage Michael Jackson in full form in this movie. He obsessively directs, brainstorms, and creates this new live show. If you are even vaguely familiar with Michael Jackson's music or legacy, please do yourself a favor and watch this documentary. Utterly compelling, extremely entertaining, and visually stunning, you will not want to miss it.




Comments