Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows: part 1: Now on DVD

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 has been available on DVD since April, but now Redbox users and Netflix subscribers may now rent it, too.

Harold Potter, Phd in wizardry, is nearing his end at Hogwarts. It has been a fun ride. Harry and the other kids are like the kids that grow up down the street. We know them. They are in the background of our lives for years. Then, one day, we realize they're all grown up. That day, so to speak, is Deathly Hallows: part 1.



Deathly Hallows: part 1 welled up emotions in me about Harry Potter that I didn't know I had. My li'l Potter is all grown up! *tear*. It was quite emotional to experience the panoramic, dark, emotional, exhilirating, and long-paced Deathly Hallows: part 1. Admittedly, I have only read the first few pages of Deathly Hallows, so I can only speak for the movie. But, like everone else, I have strong opinions.




If you are a fan of the Harry Potter series of books and movies, then this review will not add too much new to your thoughts. I simply have a new perspective. Deathly Hallows: part 1 certainly feels like the beginning of something huge, and looming. The characters all sense the end coming, like the way cows feel a giant thunderstorm coming in the distance. Harry feels the weight of the world on his shoulders. Those charming, innocent days of simple charms, fun adventures, and warm family togetherness are a fading memory in the halls of Hogwarts. The dark, serious reality is upon the students. Hermione, Harry, and Ron must fight to survive as they seek answers. On a mission, they are out in the field, trying to destroy horcruxes. This movie goes for 146 minutes. It is a long-winded, somber journey that draws out just a bit too long. I wish they had shaved off fifteen minutes or so. And, of course, since it is "part 1", it ends right in the middle. That's another bummer.


What I like about Deathly Hallows: part 1 is that the Potter crew gets to incorporate all their skills aquired over their years at Hogwarts. I found myself, as an audience member, saying "Oh, yeah! I remember when they got that!" or, "I remember when he learned that!" I felt like I was there. Harry Potter is a rare, wonderful series of movies that make you love the characters, care about the events, and feel a twinge of sadness that it all comes to a close.



rating: 4 of 5


















Comments

  1. In a lot of ways, I think this is the best film in the series. The cinematography is brilliant, and the three leads have really started to come into their own as actors. Good thing too - they had to carry the majority of the story alone, without much help from the seasoned pros in the series. I'm especially impressed with Emma Watson's performance in this one.

    I like your analogy about the sense of foreboding cows get before a thunderstorm. Great way to sum up the tone of the movie.

    Having read all of the books, I do feel that key elements of the plot are missing, and I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to follow completely if I didn't already know what's going on, but I guess that's to be expected.

    It didn't feel long or drawn out to me, but I know there are many who agree with that sentiment. I actually wish there had been more. Lupin and Tonks, for example, are two of my favorite characters in the books, and that entire subplot has been utterly neglected in the films.

    Anyway, sorry for the lengthy comment. I could talk about Harry Potter all day. :) The finale is going to be epic! I can't wait till July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Don't worry, Jessie, I love long comments. That's what my blog is all about.

    Seeing Deathly Hallows kind of made me want to read the books. I only read a portion of the very first book, decided it was just for kids, and couldn't continue. However, years later, I picked up Deathly Hallows in a store and read the first several pages. I was hooked. Maybe I should go back and read all of them.

    I'm also torn because books and movies are such different mediums. But, it seems like Harry Potter movies have done as good, if not better, than any other movie at bringing a book to life. But then, I've never read all the books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose if I had to pick the part of the recent Deathly Hallows part I that I like the most it would have to be the beginning when all of the kids are reuniting and enjoying each other, but it is short lived. I found the movie too hopeless to enjoy, but I understand that is how the book was written and there’s noting that can be done about that. The only thing that made renting this movie less painful was that I didn’t have to pay a cent for it because of my free Blockbuster movie rental I got with my new DISH Network employee account. http://goo.gl/wuMrN I exchange my movies in the mail and I don’t waste any gas; it sure makes checking the mail more exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment