War Horse

the buzz rating: 4.5 out of 5
In my quest to see as many "Best Picture" Oscar nominees as possible, I was lucky enough to see War Horse on the big screen. I'm not sure if it was a digital showing or not, but the picture clarity was beautiful, and some panoramic shots of England are breathtaking. The sound was also crystal clear, and made me feel like I was in the middle of the action. And, let's not forget the beautiful, lush, and perfectly appropriate musical score by John Williams.

I have seen most of the Best Picture nominees, and have liked them all. (Though The Descendants wasn't quite my cup of tea). However, War Horse has been the only movie that moved me to write a review. It is a remarkable achievement that only Steven Speilberg could have brought to fruition with such effectiveness and heart.

The official synposis of War Horse is as follows: Adapted from a novel by Michael Morpurgo, this majestic World War I drama centers on Devon lad Albert and his steadfast horse, Joey, whose faithful bond cannot be shaken -- even when Joey is sold to the cavalry and sent off to France.

War Horse has also been a very popular play in London. According to Wikipedia, it debuted on October 17, 2007 at the Royal National Theater in London, England. The stage play is a very elaborate production, featuring a complex and highly technical set of techniques for showing the sweeping battle scenes. It won 5 Tony awards in 2011, including Best Play. It has also earned several other prestigious stage awards.

It is, then, no surprise to me that a cinematic version is equally effective at pulling the heart strings. Speilberg magic is present in this film, with gorgeous art direction and cinematography drawing you into the landscape of the world. The scenes are both grounded in reality, yet elevated by a sense of fantasy. It is that clarity of vision and brilliance of execution that puts Steven Speilberg in a very exclusive club of directors. I wonder how many directors in Hollywood today could achieve something so epic, creative, and difficult (besides James Cameron, George Lucas, and Martin Scorcesse, of course!)



There are some brutally violent war scenes, and some disturbing animal images. But, don't let that stop you from seeing it. I promise, War Horse is an uplifting, inspiring, and even heartwarming movie adventure. It is one of the rare movies released in the last year that will remind you why you love movies so much. It will make you feel transported to a different time and place.

War Horse is rated PG-13. It has been nominated for 6 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. I would be okay if it won.












Comments

  1. I felt this film was a bit of a let down. I thought the battle scenes were pretty tame and that the level of syrup was pretty thick. I expected it to be dramatic but not get hit over the head with over sentimentality. I expect a more subtle touch from a great director like Spielberg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I'm sorry I'm just now replying to your message! Great thoughts on War Horse. I think the reason I liked it as much as I did is because it wasn't as gritty and violent as it could have been. I think the backlash from audiences regarding animal violence would have been overwhelming.

      That being said, since I saw War Horse, I haven't been too compelled to watch it again. It's just missing that certain "something" that would draw me into second and third viewings. I think Speilberg's latest Oscar darling, "Lincoln", has the same problem. It's a fantastic subject matter, with some good performances, but it's just too dry to watch repeatedly. War Horse seems the same way. It's lost its luster with me, as many recent Speilberg films seem to do. Oh, well.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment