12 Years of Romance by Bumble Bee



Inspired by The Buzz’s countdown of Oscar winners, and in celebration of Valentine’s Day, I decided to write about the last 12 years of romantic movie releases in February. It’s time to get out a cozy blanket and snuggle up with a loved one for a romantic movie marathon. Here’s the list:

2012:
The Vow- I personally prefer romantic comedies, as opposed to pure romance, so this movie probably won’t be my favorite. However, it’s the only romantic movie release this year, so it’s probably your best bet for a Valentine’s date.

2011:
Just Go With It- Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston star in this romantic comedy about a doctor who asks his assistant to pose as his ex-wife to cover up a lie he told to his girlfriend. This wasn’t my favorite out of the list, but it had some funny moments.

2010:
Valentine’s Day- I am just going to admit it…I LOVED this movie. I own it on DVD. It explores love from different points of view and at different stages in life. It also captures everything that I love about Valentine’s Day. I’m not sure if it will be a favorite amongst men, but mark my words..women love it.

2009:
Confessions of a Shopaholic- This movie also wasn’t my favorite, but it was cute. I’m positive that men will hate it.

He’s Just Not That Into You- This movie was the winner of February 2009. It is based on a self-help book that was once featured on Oprah. BUT, the movie is not a self-help dialog. The movie explores the awkwardness of relationships in a witty and whimsical way. I really enjoyed it.

2008:
Fool’s Gold- Although critics didn’t necessarily like this movie, I think that it is a great date movie, because it has romance and action. I would recommend it.

Definitely, Maybe- I never saw this movie. I think that it may be a little too serious for my romantic tastes. Apparently, it is about a man trying to explain his divorce to his little girl.

2007:
Music and Lyrics- I saw this movie, but it was forgettable, even for a musician. I’ve never really been a fan of Hugh Grant. Perhaps that’s why I don’t remember much about it. Drew Barrymore also stars in the film.

Because I Said So- This is a total chick flick, but it’s good. Diane Keaton plays Mandy Moore’s mother. Their strong relationship is explored and challenged as Mandy dates two different men. It is perfect for a mother/daughter day.

2006:
Date Movie- This movie was released just after Valentine’s Day and makes fun of different romantic comedies (similar to Scary Movie). I didn’t see it. That sort of comedy is usually not my favorite, although it may be the best on the list for others.

Something New- This Focus Features film features a woman who thinks she knows what she wants in a man, but is surprised when she finds her perfect match in the opposite of her wishes. I haven’t seen it, but it looks interesting.

2005:
Hitch- Another great date movie. This movie, from the same director as Fool's Gold, Andy Tennant, features Will Smith and Eva Mendes. It has hilarity, romance and is entertaining for both guys and girls.

The Wedding Date- On paper, this movie has it all (a great plot, good actors, a wedding scene, etc.), but, in my opinion, the movie lacked something. It wasn’t my favorite.

2004:
50 First Dates- This movie again features Adam Sandler, but this time with Drew Barrymore. The movie’s plot is not realistic, but what Adam Sandler movie is? It’s a good choice.

2003:
How to Lose A Guy In 10 Days- I personally liked this movie. It features Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson (like Fool’s Gold). It tells the story of a man and a woman who are trying to find a date for reasons other than love. He is trying to win a bet, while she is writing an article. Unexpectedly, the two fall for each other. The movie is sweet, romantic and funny.

2002:
There were actually no romance movies released this year, unless you count Britney Spear’s Crossroads as a romantic comedy. I don’t.

2001:
Sweet November- This movie is in the romance category, but it is not a romantic comedy. It features a romance between a couple (Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron) that is forbidden in a sense, because the woman has terminal cancer. It is heart-breaking. If you are a die-hard romantic, you’ll love it. Otherwise, skip this one.

2000:
Another year with no romance movies in February. What was Hollywood thinking?


Well, that’s it. Please write comments and tell us which are your favorites. Happy Valentines Day!!








Comments