Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

my rating: 2 out of 5
With the summer movie season winding down, it got me thinking about 2011 compared to summers past. There have been some great movies in the last several summers. And, some not-so-great ones. With Transformers: Dark of the Moon out this summer, it got me thinking about the second installment in the Transformers trilogy from 2009.

I am a thirty two year old man. I rarely get giddy about movies opening on the big screen anymore. When I do get excited about something, I know what I'm getting into and what to expect. (The new Star Wars movies, for example. Or, the Dark Knight.) I love summer blockbuster type movies, and my expectations are appropriately set. That being said, everything about Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was supposed to be incredible. It was supposed to be funny, thrilling, big, action-packed, cutting edge. Quite frankly, it was supposed to be Star Wars of 2009. Now that I have explained what the movie WASN'T, let me tell you what it WAS.
1. It is extremely long. 147 minutes. That's nearly 2.5 hours. There's not enough interest or story to justify that length.
2. There are no characters anyone can remember or care about.
3. The action scenes, which could nearly redeem the first two flaws if done right, are endless, loud, and worst of all, completely incoherent.
Nerds everwhere may debate the flaws of Star Wars: Episode 1 for years to come. Nerds may harp constantly on the downfalls of the Fantastic 4 movies, Daredevil, and other comic book flops. But ladies and gentlemen, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen may sit on the throne of "king of the worst blockbuster ever." Yes, worse than the 90's Godzilla with Matthew Broderick. More souless than that. Less coherent and less engaging than Star Wars: Episode 2 Attack of the Clones. (worst Star Wars movie of all 6 in the series.) Transformers 2 is a failure on almost every level. Except, it shines with technical achievement. But no one watches a movie for technical achievement.

Comments