HP: The Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Celebrating the end of an era
my rating: 4.5 out of 5


Last night, at midnight, I experienced the final installment in the Harry Potter series. I say "experienced" rather than "watched", because it was more special than a typical blockbuster movie-going epic. It was a celebration of the end of an era.

I decided to brave the midnight crowds because I have never seen a Potter movie on opening night. I wondered what it might be like to see the fans, getting older now, dressed up in crazy wizard and witch costumes. Certainly, it was extremely crowded and full of energy. The theater I attended had an astounding sixteen simultaneous showings of Deathly Hallows: Part 2 at midnight, all of which were sold out.

I didn't really want to see The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 in 3D, but it was the only showing that was still available. The 3D seemed like something that would cheapen the experience. However, I'm glad I did, because the 3D glasses are actual round "Harry Potter" shaped glasses. This was a nice little gimmick that made it a bit more special. And, the 3D looked utterly incredible. In contrast with the head-splitting effects of Transformers 3, the 3D in Harry Potter actually served to submerge the audience further into the story. That was a pleasant surprise.

My introduction to the Harry Potter movies really began with the third one, Prisoner of Azkaban. I lived in Los Angeles at the time, and a group of friends basically coerced me into going to see it. I'm glad they did, because I fell in love with the series. We saw it on a gigantic "true" IMAX screen. And I, for the first time, understood the magic of Harry Potter. And that, my friends, is the magic of cinema. It's part of the reason why I love movies so much.

The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is certainly dark and somber throughout. But, it contains the magic of cinema that completely transports your senses to another world. I was under the spell, so to speak, woven by this wonderful cinematic blockbuster. It hurt my heart to see these characters, getting older now, confronting all the evil that has been building up for seven prior movies. It was quite a spectacle to behold: full of thrill, suspense, and heart-tugging emotion. I'm telling you, readers, it was an emotional movie experience I have not encountered in a long time.

Take a few minutes to enjoy this brief overview of the movie series:

After walking out of the theater, a friend of mine who has read all the books cleared up a couple of minor plot points. It helps if you have read the books, but it is not necessary. The movies are basically constrained to a two hour time limit, so some details in the book may be left out of the movie. Nevertheless, watching Harry confront You-Know-Who is worth the price of admission. All of the characters are no longer learning (except Harry, who learns further details about his past.) Rather, they are exercising the full extent of their powers against the forces of evil. It is a suspenseful, thrilling, and sometimes shocking thing to see. It is quite an incredible movie. And, it represents the end of the decade long Harry Potter phenomenon. That aspect of it makes me sad. But, the fact that it is so well done, brings such a nice closure, and is so entertaining, that redeems this movie.

Like everything in life, there are times when we must say goodbye. Goodbye to people, places, and phases in our lives. Just as the fictional characters are saying goodbye to the age of Harry Potter, we, the audience, share in that bittersweet goodbye by experiencing the final chapter. See it. Remember where you were when the first Harry Potter came out. And prepare yourself for an emotional and inspirational goodbye as Harry wields a wand for the last time.











Comments

  1. I thought that the movie was fantastic. I have to say that I haven't read any of the books. I also didn't see my first Harry Potter movie until about 3 years ago, but I have seen them all now. This one is the perfect conclusion, and I do not say that lightly. (Read my comment on Evan's review of Indiana Jones: The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.)I believe that Harry Potter die-hards will love the movie, as well as new fans. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's taken me a while to get something posted about this one, and I've been waiting to read your review so that I wouldn't inadvertently repeat something you have said in mine. ;) Your reminiscing got me all sentimental about saying goodbye to the Harry Potter films. Glad we ran into you guys at the theater. Sorry we didn't get to see it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ok, Jessie! In a way, we did see it, because it was like the same time. When this last HP came out, I wasn't expecting it to make me so reflective. But, something about it did. I think it's because the movie itself is reflective in a way. I agree that they left out some things that would have explained it clearer, but it was still an incredible cinematic adventure. My favorite of the summer. Thank you for reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment