Cars 2

my rating: 2.5 out of 5


Honestly, I must say I was disappointed with Cars 2. The first Cars, like every other Pixar / Disney movie, is innovative, fun, even as cheesy as being heartwarming. But the second Cars is simply a watered-down, rehashing of former greatness.


This time around, Lightning McQueen is going on a world racing circuit. He decides to take Mater along to experience the adventure. Then, we get world cultures, deception, British spies, chase scenes, etc. Mater takes center stage in Cars 2, as much of the story revolves around his character. The Mater jokes are not nearly as potent in this one as they were in the first one. There are so many new characters introduced, that it may be difficult for some younger kids to understand what's happening.



Now, I know what you may be thinking. "Evan...you're a grown adult! This movie is for kids! Don't judge it by an adult standard!" I have heard those criticisms before in my kids' movie reviews. Let me assure you, I saw this movie with two kids, and they were both bored the entire time. And, they're Disney lovers. They love the first Cars. I hate to say it, but this Cars feels like the first Pixar movie that was churned out just for cash. It does have some fun action in places. And, of course, the awesome visuals are ever-improving. But, my overall opinion of Cars 2 is that it lacks a certain charm that the first one had. It relies too much on Mater's tired, silly poop jokes, and the core semblance of the first Cars. I know, many people may disagree with me. But, I've got two little kids to back me up on this one.


Cars 2 is a very family-friendly movie, of course. Maybe kids younger than me, but older than the kids I was with, will find this movie enjoyable. But, I'm just going on my gut, as I always do.








Comments

  1. I saw this movie at the drive-in and missed parts of it. I'm not sure that I will ever make the effort of see it again, even on DVD. There are very few children's sequels that are any good. Even though the makers sometimes compromise good work for dollars, I think I'm okay with it. Kids need wholesome movies to see and be excited about. This movie is a good choice for an evening with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm disappointed to read that Pixar seems to be selling out with this movie. I have to say though, the original Cars was cute but didn't impress me much. It does seem to have more appeal with preschool audiences than some of the other Pixar features, but I've come to expect greatness from Pixar, and Cars doesn't hit the quality mark the way movies like the Toy Storys, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille do. Larry the Cable Guy is the kiss of death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL yes, anything starring Larry the Cable Guy is an instant NO! Maybe Weird Al, Larry the Cable Guy, and Carrot Top can be in the next Pixar movie. BLAH! Oh, they're also making a sequel to Monsters, Inc. I know that one will also be for kids, and won't have much appeal to adults. Hopefully this new decade will bring in a new (and improved) era for Disney movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched that movie, and I couldn't help but laugh at the antics of Mater. The emotional scenes were a bit lacking, but they did their part. If Cars would have a third installment, they should come up with a fresher twist to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tari - I hope they make a Cars 3, too! I love this series of movies. They are fun and innocent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment