Top 5 Robin Williams movies

     As a kid, I vividly remember watching Mork and Mindy, and thinking "that whacky guy" was unbelievably talented and magnetizing. The impact that had on me remains to this day, because it taught me that being a performer can be electric, joyful, and full of laughter.

     I have done comedy here and there over the years, and if you ask me to list my top 5 favorites and most influential, Robin Williams is always near the top. I've done mostly improv comedy, but also did college productions ranging from Shakespeare to modern comedies. Anyone worth their salt in performance / comedy / theater will surely cite Robin Williams as a central inspiration.

     It seems odd how much his passing has disturbed, saddened, and shocked me. I feel almost as if I have lost a distance relative. I knew he struggled with depression and alcoholism, but had no idea the depths of his struggles over the years. It just goes to show that even someone with Robin Williams' level of success, beautiful wife and children, and "whacky" comedy persona can still be struggling inwardly.

I have cobbled together my list of favorite movie performances in an attempt to honor his cultural legacy. These are basically in no particular order.

5. Dead Poet's Society (1989)    Rotten Tomatoes: 85% / 92% Audience
     While millennials shout "YOLO", the importance of seizing the day in the original incarnation "Carpe Diem", was taught to a young class by Robin Williams' character, english teacher John Keating. Being heralded as their "captain", John Keating teaches the youngsters to think for themselves and expand their horizons in this inspirational drama.

4. Aladdin (1992) Rotten Tomatoes : 94% / 92% Audience 
     Adding to the pantheon of classic animated Disney films, Robin Williams delighted us and made us laugh as the mile-a-minute, fun-loving, memorable Genie. Stringing together stream-of-consiousness impressions and improvising whole scenes, the animators adjusted around his comedic genius.

3. Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) Rotten Tomatoes: 71% / 76% Audience
     Director Chris Columbus has famously said making Mrs. Doubtfire felt more like filming a documentary than a Hollywood production because of Robin Williams' fierce and raw comedic performance. Williams totally owns his character and churns out a memorable family favorite.

2. Hook (1991)
     Directed by Stephen Speilberg, this Robin Williams classic stars Williams as a grown-up Peter Pan.

1. Good Will Hunting (1997)
One of my favorite all-time movie performances, Robin Williams plays therapist Sean Maguire. Williams was well-deserving of the Best Supporting Actor Oscar that year.

This is one of my favorites:

Comments