Oscar Favorites 2013

The Academy Awards are an American institution. Just a couple of weeks ago, Argo was awarded with Best Picture and a pile of other Oscars were given to other Hollywood filmmakers. I loved Argo, but I think there were other very deserving Best Picture nominees, too. This year was a fairly strong year for nominees (certainly stronger than last year's pics, with the the gimmicky The Artist winning the big prize.) Out of the 9 nominees, I saw 7 of them before the award ceremony. I still haven't seen Amour or Life of Pi. I've read and heard quite a bit about Amour, and I don't know that I'm quite brave enough to give it a shot. As far as Life of Pi, I'm waiting for that one to hit Blu Ray.

My wife and I loved Argo last year when it first came out in theaters. Ben Affleck is a stellar directer (glaring Oscar snub aside) and the cast of Argo feels like an "Evan's Favorites" kind of list. John Goodman, Bryan Cranston, Alan Arkin, and even Ben Affleck.

What were my favorite nominees this year? Here they are, in order of least to best:

9. Amour (? N/A haven't seen it)
8. Life of Pi (? N/A haven't seen it)
7. Beasts of the Southern Wild - emotional, political, captivating at times, interesting, visually vibrant
6. Lincoln - well-made, sterile, feels a bit wooden, great performances, educational vibe, disappointing
5. Zero Dark Thirty - fascinating, dark, Jessica Chastain is amazing, story is revealing, violent
4. Silver Linings Playbook - well written, endearing acting, unique, well directed, romantic
3. Les Miserables - controversial, moving, musical, incredible performances, memorable
2. Argo - funny, frolicking, gritty, full of depth of character
1. Django Unchained - Thrilling, challenging, well-acted, compelling, fascinating, entertaining, violent

As repulsive as some scenes are in Django, I believe it was better than Argo. Quinten Tarantino has a flare for ridiculous and visceral violence. He also has a flare for ridiculously compelling writing and tounge-in-cheek dialouge.

So, this year's Oscars got me thinking...throughout Oscar history, what are some of the very best Best Picture winners? The worst? The best nominees that never actually won? I was inspired to compile these lovely lists.

The Best - Best Picture winners

10. The Departed (2006) - Most considered iconic director Martin Scorcesse long overdue for an Oscar when The Departed won Best Pic in 2006. I love this movie. Lightning paced, dynamite performances from Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, Leo DiCaprio, and the legendary Jack Nicholson. A twisty, violent Boston cop thriller full of cool action and great music.

9. No Country for Old Men (2007) - This Cohen brothers horror / thriller/ drama really grew on me. I hated it the first time I saw it, but Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones eventually won me over. Another violent, and at times greusome, tale of revenge, intrigue, and lare piles of money. However, it's told from the perspective of rural Texas in the late 70's and early 80's. It's a strange tale, but very well told. Even poetic at times.

8. Forrest Gump (1994) - I don't care what any critics say, Forrest Gump is incredible. It defeated The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction, which is no easy task. But, this movie is an incredible look at Americana through the eyes of one memorable simpleton. It was also a defining role for Tom Hanks.

7. Casablanca - (1943)  I mean, come on. It's iconic. Clark Gable, black and white, you get it.

6. Rocky (1976) - Rocky started a wave of American inspiration that influenced our morale, view of ourselves, and kickstarted the notion that Americans can overcome. It lasted well into the 80's, and inspired many sequels. And, it was all started from an unknown writer/actor named Sylvester Stallone.

5. Schindler's List (1993) - Heavy-handed drama about the holocaust from Steven Speilberg. It brought holocaust cinema into the mainstream in a new way, and every frame is soaked with emotion and horrid truth. Unflinching, uncompromising, and tough to watch.

4. The Sound Of Music (1965) - Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer deliver in this sweeping, classic musical that still speaks to us today. Beautiful scenery, charming story, and good singing keep it alive today.

3. The Godfather 2 (1974) - A staggeringly genius film about the mob that elevated cinematic storytelling to new heights.

2. Gone With The Wind (1939) - Epic.

1. The Godfather ( 1972) - What can I say? Memorable characters, amazing story, still stands the test of time today. Mob movies have tried to match the Godfather ever since it came out. It started a dialouge in this country, too, about the role of organized crime in our society. Many stereotypes were born from this movie about Italian mobsters. Overall, and amazing and unparalleled Best Picture winner.

Obviously, many beloved movies didn't make the list, like Annie Hall and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. But, these are kind of the cream of the crop, in my opinion.

The Worst - Best Picture Winners

Sometimes you have to ask yourself, "What the crap were they thinking?" Maybe politics were involved. Maybe the Academy voters were caught up in the hype of a moment. Whatever the reason, there have been some truly horrendous movies awarded Best Picture. This list was easier to compile than the best list, weirdly enough.

8. How Green Was My Valley (1941) - Not only does this movie sound lame, it actually beat Citizen Kane for Best Pic. And, it's totally forgettable. I mean, nobody even cares about this turkey.

7. The Deer Hunter (1978) - This politically charged drama about the Vietnam war is simply horrible. Prolonged, bizarre, emotionally over-the-top scenes compile into a barely coherent and depressing mess of a movie. Many critics raved and still love this "masterpiece." I, however, hate it.

6. Tom Jones (1963) This weird, mediocre period piece is another forgettable piece of trash that had no business even being nominated. Stilted performances, boring story, and no real artistry. What the crap?

5. Million Dollar Baby (2004) - Let's get something straight: Clint Eastwood is a genius movie maker. His performances in this movie is really good. Morgan Freeman is good. Hillary Swank is good. But, the story feels contrived and really, really depressing. Overall, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

4. Kramer Vs. Kramer (1979) It's an interesting little drama told from the perspective of a single father trying to make things work with his young son. However, it feels more like a made for TV movie than a renowned Best Picture winner. This was a weak year of nominees, I guess.

3. Around the World in 80 Days (1956) - A strange, crappy comedy that doesn't really work on hardly any level. Maybe there were politics involved in all the critical praise it received at the time. Essentially, it is a children's movie full of ham and cheesiness. Whatever.

2. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003) - This only won because the Academy voters were awarding the whole trilogy. Return of the King is boring, too long, overwrought, and uninteresting. I get that the overall Lord of the Rings trilogy is good, but this third installment weighs it down and certainly didn't deserve to be called the Best Picture of that whole year.

1. Crash (2005) - Worst. Movie. Ever. I hate this pretentious piece of garbage. It's offensive, hacky, cheap, and even cheesey. What were they thinking? Worst "Best Picture" winner ever.


Now, this next category is arguably my favorite. What were the best "Best Picture" nominees that didn't win? Well, this list reads like a list of my favorite movies of all time. Some of my favorite movies happen to be Best Picture nominees.


11. Frost/Nixon (2008) - A surprisingly potent and suspenseful telling of the infamous Richard Nixon (Frank Langella) interview conducted by tv personality David Frost (Michael Sheen). Based on the true story (and stage play about the true story) directed by Ron Howard, this thrilling movie entertains me every time.

10.Sunset Boulevard (1950) - A creepy, incredibly well written story of a Hollywood writer who stumbles upon a washed up Hollywood starlet named Norma Desmond and begins a tepid, strange relationship with her. Held in her home and "hired" by her to write a movie, Joseph Gillis is commissioned to create the movie that will drive Norma Desmond's big comeback in the movies.

9.Miracle on 34th Street - A Christmas classic that lives on to this day.

8.Lost In Translation (2003)- This indie film classic is the endearing love story of two people who were somewhat forbidden to be together due to circumstances.

7.The Social Network (2010) - Fascinating story about the genesis of Facebook, and it's controversial founder Mark Zuckerberg.

6.Good Will Hunting (1997) - Amazing writing, features newcomers Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, incredible deft performance by Robin Williams

5.Black Swan (2010) - Trippy, dark, and forboding story of obsession, drive, and family influence. Wow.

4.Raiders of the Lost Ark (1982) - The one that started it all. The world was introduced to Indiana Jones, and the rest is history.

3.The Wizard of Oz (1939) - I grew up with this classic, as many did, and it is beloved to me. Still has the magic, even when I watch it as an adult. Quite a remarkable achievement for the era, too.

2.E.T. (1983) - Back in Steven Speilberg's peak, he made movies like E.T. that enthralled, enchanted, and filled our 80's childhoods with wonder. I miss that Speilberg, but atleast we have the movies he made. E.T. is among the best.

1.Star Wars (1977) - Do I even have to explain this one? World changing.

So, that's my opinon. What do you think? Do you have Oscar favorites? Oscar least-favs? Holla!





Comments

  1. This is interesting. I was thinking about "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou" the other day. Was that even nominated? It is certainly deserving of at least a nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this year was a better year for movies than 2012, despite not having seen many of the nominees until recently. I'm like you in thinking Django was probably the best of those I have seen, although I still have yet to watch Argo. This year was a great year for animated films as well, and although I loved Brave and think it is beautifully animated, I'm not sure I would have picked it for Best Animated Feature. I secretly kind of hoped Frankenweenie would get it, and I'm hearing high praise for ParaNorman, too.

    As far as past nominees go, most of your non-wins would be on my list of favorites, too, but a few more that come to mind are To Kill A Mockingbird, Mary Poppins, The Graduate, Jaws, Chocolat, Crouching Tiger, Gangs of New York, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, Juno, There Will Be Blood, Inglorious Bastards, and Midnight in Paris. And I don't think O Brother was nominated, but I agree with Tiffany - it should have been.

    There are too many bogus wins to count, but I will say that I have been disappointed with the winners for the past 6 years or so.

    Fun topics, Evan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jessie! You definitely need to see Argo. It's good. I just recently got it on blu ray, and I can't wait to see it again.

    I love your list of favorite non-winners. Sideways, Juno, Gangs of New York, and There Will Be Blood are definitely all incredible. I haven't seen Croughing Tiger in years, but I remember loving it. I saw Inglorious Bastards again recently, and it didn't do much for me. It's lost its luster over the past couple of years. Midnight in Paris is fantastic, too. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment