Oscar Predictions 2013

The new year is already here, and Oscar nominations are less than a week away! I love this time of year because my wife and I always try to see all movies that are nominated for Best Picture if they're still in theaters.

This year's Oscar buzz has happened strong and early, meaning this may be an exciting year. Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman, for example, are already garnering intense and divided attention over their over-the-top performances in Les Miserables. I've read several critical reviews of both opinion. I personally think they're both worthy of the win, not just nomination!

Best Picture Predictions

1. Argo- Gritty thriller has many Oscar-friendly elements in its favor: 1. it was directed by a celebrity (Ben Affleck.) The Academy loves that. 2. It's based on a true story.   And, aside from that, it's great! My wife and I saw it when it first came about because I'm interested in the hostage crisis from the late 70's. And, I knew a Ben Affleck movie was going to be a good one. (Gone Baby Gone, The Town). It's very suspenseful, interesting, funny, well-made, and full of interesting characters. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't get nominated, but this is all but a sure bet.

2. Lincoln - a movie about President Abraham Lincoln is honestly long overdue. Everyone in Hollywood knew that the story of Abraham Lincoln would be a giant beast to deal with, replete with high expectations. Only a director like Steven Speilberg could have handled it so well. I love this movie, and I'm sure you can expect a big pile of steaming nominations for it.

3. Les Miserables - Wow, the controversey about this movie is like a typhoon. Love it or hate it, this is the exact type of thing The Academy of Arts and Sciences love. And I loved it. In fact, it replaced Lincoln as my favorite movie of the whole year.
Watch this hilarious video of some dude's parents reacting to the movie:



4. Silver Linings Playbook - Haven't seen this one, but I've been hearing the buzz. Director David O. Russell also directed the Oscar nominated flick The Fighter. Silver Linings Playbook seems like a really interesting indie film kind of love story. It's on my list of movies to see soon!

5. The Sessions - Also based on a true story, The Sessions is a movie about a "sex therapist" played by Helen Hunt.

6. Zero Dark Thirty - Another "based on a true story" tale about the military capture and killing of Osama Bin Laden. The buzz is strong on this one, and it looks interesting.

7. Life of PI - Director Ang Lee's movie about a guy stranded at sea with a tiger. Kind of a surreal fantasy tale? I don't really know. But, the reviews are very positive and it looks compelling. It has an artsy edge that the Academy favors.

This is where it gets fuzzy....

I'm not sure what will be nominated after this. Possibilities are: Moonrise KingdomFlight? The Impossible? I've even heard Skyfall mentioned as a potential Best Picture nominee.

Best Performances Predictions

Best Actor
1. Daniel Day-Lewis -Lincoln
2. Hugh Jackman - Les Miserables
3. Denzel Washington - Flight
4. ?
5. ?

Best Supporting Actor
1. Leonardo DiCaprio - Django Unchained
2. Robert Deniro - Silver Linings Playbook
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Best Actress
1. Anne Hathaway - Les Mis
2. Helen Hunt - The Sessions
3. Sally Field - Lincoln

Best Supporting Actress
I don't know




 

Comments

  1. I think that your predictions are right on target. I believe that you also meant to add John Hawkes for the Sessions. I've also heard a lot of buzz about Jessica Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty. Let awards season begin! I'm looking forward to watching these and picking out my own favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment