The Artist

The Artist is a criminally overlooked movie in pop culture. Elegant, compelling, fun, comedic, and utterly unique, it will pull you in from the very first scene.

Yes, it is a mostly "silent" movie inspired by films from the late 1910's and 1920's. Silent, as in, there is no verbal audio. However, just as the movies that inspired it, The Artist is filled with incredible, romantic, sweeping music. And, the fact that it is silent makes it even more interesting.

The casting is nothing short of inspired, too. All these cast members just look like "those people" from the old silent movies. The archetypes of the stern old man, the grumpy old man, the beautiful young starlet, and the handsome leading man. Even the dog looks like he belongs in the 1920's. It's remarkable.

The story is also fantastic. I love movies about show business, and the Artist is a loving look at one of the most romantic periods in Hollywood history. The story keeps you on your toes, and has one or two surprising twists that will keep you interested.

If you've never seen the Artist, I beg you to give it a try. You'll thank me. Now that last year's Oscar buzz has worn off, people are thinking about other movies, you can sit back and enjoy the Artist for what it is: fun and ingenious.

It is now available on DVD, Blu Ray, and Netflix streaming.

  • PG-13, 1 hr. 40 min.
  • Release Date: 
Hollywood 1927. George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) is a silent movie superstar. The advent of the talkies will sound the death knell for his career and see him fall into oblivion. For young extra Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo), it seems the sky's the limit - major movie stardom awaits. The Artist tells the story of their interlinked destinies. -- (C) Weinstein



Comments

  1. Glad you're back! This movie is cinematic genius. Thanks for highlighting it. I've only seen it on the big screen. I am wondering how it will translate to a TV. I recommend this movie to people in a thoughtful mood or to people who need a little inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Tiffany's sentiment - I've missed your reviews!

    I love The Artist, and it is a shame that it seems to have gotten lost over the past year in a sea of lesser films. Lately I've been exploring some older cinema set in the same era- Singing in the Rain, The Lightfoot Parade, etc., and The Artist captures all of the magic and nostalgia of old Hollywood people love about those classics, but with the quality of modern film-making. This makes it just as charming as the pictures that inspired it, but more interesting in terms of aesthetics, and way more entertaining. :)

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much for reading my blog Jessie! I don't know why I left the blogging for a while. It's so fun.

      I'm so glad you're getting into classic films. There's a richness to them that's so satiating for film lovers! Tiffany and I recently watched "Sunset Boulevard" on Netflix streaming, and it is incredible. I don't know why I never watched it before because it always ends up on "best ever" movie lists. It is great.

      Thanks for reading, and please keeping posting comments!

      Delete

Post a Comment