Crash

There has been quite a buzz about this film, Crash. One of the overarching critiques of this film is that it is a "love it or hate it" film. I have been reading and absorbing every critical review of this film I can get my hands on, as I had the opportunity to watch it yesterday, for the first time.I have to admit mixed feelings about this film. One element that no one seems to contend is that the acting is fantastic. Terrance Howard, Matt Dillon, Sandra Bullock, Branden Frazer, Ludacris, and others have churned out fantastic performances.The controversey, however, is in writer/director Paul Haggis. This film is ultimately his brainchild, and born of his imagination.

I know I didn't grow up in Los Angeles or anything. However, I did live there for a little over a year. I was somewhat surprised to see the resaurant, Carney's, that Matt Dillon's character is in near the beginning of the film. This restaurant was less than a mile from my apartment, and I remember seeing the sleazey-looking payphone in the corner that his character uses.That being said, I feel that Paul Haggis' interpretation, and/or atmosphere of the L.A. region is far too dark. I mean, I know that bad things happen in L.A. (Prostitution, crime, racism, etc.) However, I didn't feel that his dark atmosphere was realistic, but rather manipulative. And, some of the dialouge/situations were so absurd that I nearly laughed out loud.

Now, I know what you lovers of this film are immediately thinking. "But, Evan, it's not supposed to be realistic! It's a parable, it's just a story that makes a point!" But the problem is, if it's not realistic, then anyone can make up anything to make a point, and it doesn't have to be rooted in reality.Another title for this film could've been "Dumb People Doing Dumb Things". What?!? Oh, no, he didn't! Oh, yes. Yes, he did.

Then, we have the other side of the coin. The positive side. I've already mentioned the acting. But secondly, the film's characters, and their ideas, genuinely made me think. I thought about it a great portion of the day yesterday. Every character was guilty of racism, but equally a victim. That aspect was interesting. Many of the thoughts Ludacris' character had about "conspiracy theories" against black people were thought-provoking, and similar to things I've heard people say. I had a very productive, and interesting conversation with a co-worker yesterday night about this movie. And, it was well-worth the viewing just to have that conversation.

Bottom line? I recommend that you see it. But also, I warn you to watch it with a grain of salt. I mean, look: I lived there for a year. I met all races of people. I met all religions of people. The ideas of this movie are relevant. I just don't know if that instantly qualifies it to be a fantastic movie. So, I'm kind of on the fence about it.

Comments