Walk The Line

I don't know why I waited so long to see this movie. Being a Cash fan, and knowing that this movie was getting positive critical feedback, it somehow eluded me.

So, when I finally saw it, it was more special in a way. I know, this is not a very objective review. But that is in part because I feel personally connected to the subject. The legendary life of J.R. Cash.

I sat in the theater alone. As the opening scenes unraveled, something about this movie affected me very, very deeply. It was the struggle of a young "artist", trying to find a place in the world. As Johnny wandered, struggled, and fought to make a living for himself, he encountered some problems that many 20 somethings can relate with. (Paying rent, supporting a family.)

Also, there is a great scene where Johnny and his low budget band are auditioning for Sun Records in the fifies. Unimpressed with their rendition of a Gospel tune, the record label owner tells John he must sing something more genuine. Reluctantly, and insecurely, Johnny plays Folsom Prison Blues. It is an incredibly moving moment if you're familiar with Cash and his music.

The performances were definitely top notch. But, this movie was something more. It was something more personal to me than any kind of award recognition, Oscar or otherwise. I'm sure they could've made the movie two hours longer than it is, and they still couldn't fit it all in enough to do it justice. But, the movie is what it is. And, I love it.

four out of five stars

Comments