The Chronicles of Narnia


Okay, I only have a vague recollection of reading the classic C.S. Lewis series way back in 8th grade. I was, however, a fan of the series back then. I thought the characters were interesting, the fantasy was enjoyable, and the Christian symbolism was great.

I will also admit that I, on a regular occassion, read various writings of C.S. Lewis just for enjoyment. I think he was a fantastic Christian thinker. His thoughts are still relevent and on the edge of Christian thinking in some regards.

When this film came out, I was not at all surprised that they had decided to do a version of this classic. With Lord of the Rings being a hit, and the film technology pushing special effects further, it just seemed like the right time.

I thought the girl playing Lucy was right on the money as the adorable youngest sibling. The ice queen is compelling, and obviously the devil character. Aslan was portrayed in accurate reflection of the books. Although I enjoyed Liam Neeson's performance, I couldn't get past the familiarity of that actor. I felt as if Qui-Gon Jedi Master was talking through a lion.

There were some very touching moments. The lion sacrifice, obviously paralleled to Jesus' death on the cross for the sins of all mankind, was well-done. And, if I do say so myself, well written by Lewis. It really drives the point home of the blemish-free sacrifice Jesus made for a foolish humanity.

I rate this movie strongly for its Christian symbolism. Special effects are great. It may not be the most fantastic fantasy film ever made, but it is enjoyable for kids. And, the message is positive.

my rating: 3 out of 5

Comments